September 20, 2018

Granville Prewitt Hanged for Murder of Jarvis and Ellen Buck, Wayne, 1886


Click here for a list of my other Pulaski/Rockcastle/Laurel County KY articles


[June 22, 1880] -

1880 census page for Magisterial District 4 of Wayne County, Kentucky, shows:

1. Jarvis Buck, head of household, age 35, white male, farmer, cannot read or write, born in North Carolina, both parents born in North Carolina;
2. Ellen Buck, age 31, white female, sister of Jarvis Buck, keeping house, cannot read or write, born in North Carolina, both parents born in North Carolina; and
3. Lias L. Buck, age 2, white male, (Ellen's son), born in Kentucky, whose father was born in Kentucky and mother in North Carolina. [1]


[October 31, 1886] -


A Young Man Enticed Into the Mountains to Have His Throat Cut.

His Sister in Turn Shares His Fate, Her Little Son Only Escaping the Murderers.

(Special to the Courier Journal.)

MONTICELLO, KY., Oct. 30. -- One of the most shocking murders that ever happened in this vicinity was committed in the southern part of this county last Tuesday night. Out in the mountains, ten miles from this place, lived a very humble family composed of Jarvis Buck, his sister, and her ten-year-old son. On Tuesday night this family was visited by a man whose name is Grand Prewitt. He ordered supper, which was prepared for him. He then told Buck that if he would go up on the mountain about a half mile that a fellow was up there who would give him a drink of whisky.  They went off together, but Prewitt soon returned and when asked where Buck was by his sister, replied that he would be back soon. Immediately he seized the woman, and the little boy fled to a neighbor's house and gave the alarm. The neighbors immediately went to the house and there found the heroic little boy's mother dead, with her throat cut from ear to ear and her skull terribly mashed in three places.

Search was instituted for Buck's body, but it was not found till Wednesday. When found the body was frightfully lacerated and the head almost 


The scene of these two innocent persons, brother and sister, as they lay in their humble little hut, with their heads almost hacked off, was enough to raise the spirit of mobism in the hearts of the most tender-hearted, and a posse of men searched the country for Prewitt, and found him Wednesday night. He made no resistence, but denied the murder until brought before the little boy, who told him that he was the man who murdered his mother, and that he need not deny it. Prewitt then made a full confession of the whole affair.


He said that he was approached by Jim Tuesday morning and offered a large sum of money to kill Jarvis Buck, and he agreed to do it. That night he went to Jarvis Buck's house and persuaded him to go out after a drink of whisky. When about 100 yards from the house Jim Jones and Bill Simpson met them, and he then cut his throat with a case knife. As soon as he did this Jones rifled his pockets, pulled off his boots and took his hat. Prewitt and Jones then went to the house to kill the sister and her son. He cut her throat and Jones made


with the washboard. He said they tried to catch the little boy, but could not.

This is the sworn confession of Grand Prewitt. Jones and Simpson deny having anything to do with it, but Prewitt calmly talks of the affair as though it amounted to nothing more than a hog killing. 

Yesterday there was strong talk of mobbing Prewitt, but after he confessed the excitement cooled down. All three of the brutes were brought to town to-day and lodged in jail. The exam[in]ing trial will come off next Monday. At present there is much excitement over the matter, and the universal opinion is that all three will certainly be hanged. They are 


badly dressed, and judging from their appearance, they are capable of doing any kind of crime. They are poor and without influence or friends; so it is very certain that at least two of them will hang. The evidence is sufficient to convict Prewitt, apart from his confession, and there is strong proof against Jones, also. It is the most atrocious crime ever committed in the county, and the whole people are shocked.

The object of the murder was money. Buck had sold a horse a few days before for $60, and it is supposed that he had a little besides. Besides the money they took several articles of apparel and plunder of the house.

There is no danger of a mob now, as it is quite certain that they will be convicted in court in November. [2]


[November 2, 1886] -

Saturday, October 30th.

Jarvis Buck and his sister were murdered near Monticello, Ky. Three men, who have confessed the crime, are under arrest. [3]


[November 2, 1886] -

Gran Prewitt murdered Jarvis Buck and a sister, in Wayne county, to rob them of $60. He was captured, along with his accomplices, Jim Jones and Bill Simpson, and subsequently confessed. Strong talk of lynching is being indulged in by the excited people of the section. [4]


[November 5, 1886] -

Further Particulars of the Murder of Jarvis Buck and Sister in Wayne. 

(To the Editor of the Interior Journal.) 

MONTICELLO, Nov. 2, 1886. These are some of the facts as to the villainous murder committed near Mt. Salem post office on the Little South Fork, in this county, last Tuesday night: Jarvis Buck, a bachelor, 30 years old, and his sister, 35 years of age, living with him, had their throat cut from ear  to ear by one Granville Prewitt, aged 24 years. Prewitt has confessed his crime, and say he was sent by a moonshine distiller to sell some whisky, got drunk and killed them. He first said that William Jones, 25 years old, planned the murder, the object being to secure $150 that they supposed Buck to possess. He also stated that Jones promised him a sow and seven pigs and some of the money to do the killing. He said that Jones told him that one James Simpson would go with them. Simpson is 20 years old. All the parties are married. Simpson married Jones' sister. He is cousin to Wolford Slagle, who was hung at Somerset for killing three men a few years ago. Jones is a bastard and is the hardest looking of the party. If there is a spark of honesty in the whole party, Simpson has it. Prewitt is a stepson of Wes Lawrence, a bastard son of Lizzie Lawrence, who was drowned in the South Fork about 20 years ago, when returning from this place one night with one Kennedy. Buck was induced to leave the house with the promise of whisky, and was then killed. The women was killed in the house in the presence of her nine year-old bastard son, who saved himself by flight. He was the only eye witness. Prewitt said Jones was to kill the boy. Prewitt now denies that Jones or Simpson know anything about the killing. The trial was set for today, but was continued till Wednesday to allow Jones and Simpson to get some witnesses here. Jones and Simpson will likely be sworn out.    B. J. [5]


[November 5, 1886] -

WAYNE. -- News of a horrible crime comes from the neighborhood of Monticello, where a brother and sister were brutally murdered. Grant Prewitt went to the house where Jarvis Buck, his sister and her little son lived. After supper on Tuesday night last he enticed Buck into the mountains where he and two men named Jim Jones and Bill Simpson killed Buck, whose head was almost severed from his lacerated body. Prewitt and Jones then went to the house, and seizing the woman, cut her throat from ear to ear and crushed the skull with a washboard. The boy escaped and gave the alarm. A posse pursued and caught Prewitt, who confessed the crime and said he had been hired to do the murder by Jones. Buck had sold a horse and the object was robbery. [6]


[November 9, 1886] -

Gran Prewitt was held without bail for the murder of Jarvis Buck and sister in Wayne, and Jones and Simpson were discharged. [7]


[November 19, 1886] -

The trial of Granville Prewitt for the murder of James and Ellen Buck is set for the 4th day of the term of this [Wayne county] court. It is thought that Prewitt's attorneys will argue for life in the penitentiary, as Prewitt has confessed that he did the killing. The universal opinion is that he should hang. [8]


[November 23, 1886] -

TO HANG. -- Mr. R. C. Warren returned from Monticello yesterday and from him we learn that, Granville Prewitt, the man who murdered James and Ellen Buck for their money a few weeks ago in Wayne county, the brutal circumstances of which we gave at the time, was found guilty of the murder of Miss Buck, the Commonwealth electing to try him for killing of her first. He put in a plea of not guilty at the start, but afterwards confessed his guilt and threw himself upon the mercy of the jury. He claimed that the act was committed while he was drunk and that he did not realize what he had done till several hours later and knew no object that he had in the deed. His attorney, Messrs. M. C. Saufley, O. H. Waddle and Lem Parker pleaded hard for a life sentence, instead of capital punishment, but the jury very properly brought in a verdict of death, and Judge Morrow sentenced him to be hung January 12. Mr. Warren was emplo[y]ed by the citizens to assist in the prosecution and he tells us that the verdict gives entire satisfaction. Prewitt evinced no emotion whatever on the verdict being read, neither did his wife, who was present with a young child. His first wife, from whom he was divorced, was also present. There was one other conviction, Tom Wells for forgery, who got 2 1/2 years in the penitentiary. The court adjourned yesterday. [9]


[November 26, 1886] -

WAYNE. -- The particulars of the horrible murder of James and Ellen Buck, in Wayne, have been published. It is gratifying to know that the perpetrator of the horrible deed, Granville Prewitt, has just been convicted at the recent term of the Circuit Court, and was sentenced to be hung on the 12th of January. The brutal wretch attempted to palliate the crime by the plea of drunkenness, but it did not avail. [10]


[November 26, 1886] -

From Commonwealth Attorney Herndon we learn that Granville Prewitt was found guilty of the murder of Ellen Buck in the Wayne Circuit Court, Friday, and was sentenced to be hung January 12. [11]


[January 13, 1887] -


Gran Prewitt Hanged at Monticello, Wayne County, for a Brutal Double Murder. 

Scenes in the Town and About the Scaffold -- The Crime Confessed and Penalty Paid. 

(Special to the Courier-Journal.)

MONTICELLO, VIA SOMERSET. Jan. 12. -- The hanging of Gran Prewitt brought the largest crowd to town to-day that has been here for many years. It was estimated that 4,000 persons were present, and probably this was too small. They began to come in last night until the hotels and livery stables were crowded, and this morning strange faces were seen upon the streets by sunrise. They came from all over this and adjoining counties, and from neighboring counties in Tennessee. A more excited and anxious throng was never seen. They were surging and pushing each other from one side of the town to the other all day. Whenever any little commotion arose the whole mas[s] of surging humanity rushed thither with the eager expectation of seeing the doomed Prewitt. 


was erected in the rear of the court-house yard, around which was an inclosure rising two feet above the platform. Everything was visible to the eager spectators until after the drop was sprung, and there was scarcely a standing place unoccupied for 150 feet around; every tree, house-top and fence was thickly crowded. One barn-roof was completely crushed in. Only sixty persons were permitted to enter the inclosure, tickets for which were at a premium, selling for $5.


Prewitt was visited early this morning by his wife, with whom he held a private consultation. From a sentence overheard in the conversation, it is thought be told her of some one else who was implicated in the crime. Prewitt, it is said, some time since became resigned to his fate, and has been very quiet ever since. He never made any attempt to escape except at one time he was suspected of a design to knock the jailer in the head and obtain his freedom. He has received many kindnesses from the people here. The Sunday-schools have gone several times and sung for him, and Rev. Milt Smith spent much time in administering spiritual comfort to him, and the best ladies of the town have frequently visited his cell. At his own request he was received into the church and baptized this morning, and his spiritual adviser expresses a hope that he has received pardon for his sins, as he gave many indications of that fact.


After he had dressed himself, he said to one of his fellow prisoners: I am one of the best looking men that ever went to the gallows." His appetite never failed him, he ate dinner at 12:30 with a relish. When offered a cigar just as the officers were preparing to start to the gallows, he replied: "I havn't got time to smoke." When the guard entered his cell he showed no special excitement, and talked freely, he walked to the gallows with a firm, elastic step, and mounted the scaffold without any hesitation. He said to the guard as they were walking along: "Isn't this hard to stand?" After ascending the scaffold, he looked all around with a fierce and wise countenance, and spoke to some of his acquaintances. He scanned the gallows closely, the sight of which seemed to send a shiver over his whole being. He calmly put on a pair of black gloves, and as the straps were being fastened he frequently complained that they were too tight. The little eight-year-old boy of the woman he killed was asked to shake hands with him, but he drew back and refused to do so. Every thing was soon adjusted, during which time he became much agitated.


Sheriff Ramsey told Prewitt if he had anything to say to speak. The tumultuous throng hushed as still as death, and every ear was strained, eager to catch his last words. He spoke as follows: "Gentlemen, you see where I am. I must hang for a terrible deed. Take warning by my example. Whisky and bad company brought me where I am. Let my last words to you be 'let whisky alone, and keep out of bad company; do right and meet me in heaven. It is awful to hang. Do not kill.' I did the murder for which I am about to hang, and there was no one with me."


He talked brokenly and showed great agi[t]ation. He continually kept looking around as if he expected some one to rescue him. By request, two songs were sung. Rev. Milt Smith offered an earnest invocation to God to save him. The black cap was adjusted, and he said: "I hate for you to do this." The noose was drawn around his neck, and just as he fell he said: "Lord, have mercy on me."

It was exactly 1 o'clock when Gran Prewett swung out of this world into eternity. For twenty seconds after the drop fell the body was perfectly motionless; then it began to shiver and jerk in terrible convulsions, which lasted nearly one minute. His death was hard and long. His neck was not broken, and death came by strangulation. It was nine minutes before he was pronounced dead by the attending physicians, Drs. Costello and Cook. Just seventeen minutes after the drop fell he was down and put in his coffin. When the guard began to cut the rope from around his neck, the little Buck boy said: "Let it stay on." The corpse was given to his friends, who hauled it away in a two-horse wagon, and will bury it near his former home. The crowd began to disperse immediately, expressing sympathy for the poor wretch, but congratulating each other that law and justice rule in Wayne county.


is briefly as follows: On Thursday night, Oct. 26, 1886, Jarvis Buck and his sister were brutally murdered at their home, eighteen miles from this place. Prewitt had gone to their house and enticed Buck into the woods to get whisky, and while there cut his throat with a case knife, which was very sharp. He then returned to the house and cut the woman's head almost off, and also split a washboard to splinters over her head. He then robbed them, obtaining a pair of boots, some of the clothing of each, and $5.30 in money. This account is that of Prewitt himself. The perpetrator of this terrible deed was found out by the woman's little boy, who lived with her, and who saw Prewitt and knew him. When Prewitt came to kill his mother the little boy escaped and told what had happened. He says Prewitt attempted to kill him, and was prevented by a big dog. As soon as this was known Prewitt was arrested, and immediately confessed the whole matter, implicating two others, however, who were immediately put under arrest. When the examining trial took place the other two were released, and Prewitt held over for final trial. During the next term of the Circuit Court the trial was called, and two of the best lawyers in the State defended him, but the jury found him guilty of murder in the first degree, and in accordance with their verdict, Judge Morrow passed sentence of death, which was executed to-day. [12]


[January 13, 1887] -



Granville Pruit, Who Cut the Throat of Jarvis Buck and His Sister Allowed to Look Up a String. 

Special Dispatch to the Messenger.

SOMERSET, KY., Jan. 12. Granville Pruit was hanged at Monticello, Wayne county, at 1 o'clock this afternoon for the murder of Jarvis Buck last October. Although he had previously confessed his guilt, privately and on trial, he protested his innocence on the gallows dying with the lie on his lips. 


Jarvis Buck, a poor but hard working and honest man lived in the eastern part of Wayne county, Ky., a wild, mountainous district. His family consisted of himself, his sister and a little boy eight or ten years old. 

About the 26th of October last an ignorant and shiftless fellow named William Pruit who lived some four or five miles from Buck's, but who was known to them and had once or twice done some work for them, came to their house just after dark and asked for some supper, which was set for him. After he had eaten he told Buck he had some whisky in a keg out on the road near by, and if he would get a bottle and go out with him he would give him some. Buck got a bottle and the two went out together.

After a few minutes Pruit returned to the house alone. The woman was sitting by the fire picking wool. She asked where Buck was, and Pruitt said he would be in directly. He then walked about the floor a time or two, and then made an attack on the woman, striking her over the head. 

The little boy took alarm and ran out of the house, and made his way to a neighbor's and told them what was going on at home. 

This neighbor gathered up two or three others and went to Buck's house. The woman was found on the floor with her throat cut. In fact her head was almost severed from he[r] body. Buck was found near the house with his throat cut. Both were dead. 

Pruit was arrested two days afterward near his own home. He had carried away a pair of Buck's boots and some other articles of clothing and five or six dollars in money. He admitted the crime and said two other men assisted him. But after he was put in jail he said he was alone in the killing, and had implicated the others to prevent the people from hanging him on the spot, which they would have done but for that statement. [13]


[January 14, 1887] -

HUNG. -- Granville Prewitt, the Wayne county fiend who cut the throats of Jarvis Buck and his sister and then robbed them, getting a little over $5 in money and some articles of clothing, paid the extreme penalty of the law at Monticello Wednesday. No more heinous crime was ever committed, yet the fellow seemed to reflect upon it with indifference and regard his fate with no concern whatever. He was an ignorant, poor mortal, who apparently knew nothing of the plan of salvation and admitted to the minister, who called to administer spiritual consolation, that he had never prayed in his life. In a letter which was prepared since his sentence, he says that he remembers going to the house of his victims, but did not know till several hour afterwards that he had committed the crime as he was drank at the time. The deed was committed on the night of the 26th of October and his execution occurring for it in less than two months shows that justice can occasionally take its proper course, especially when the condemned is poor and has no influential friends. The lawyers who were appointed to defend Prewitt wrote to the governor that they did not think him morally responsible and for that reason asked a commutation of the sentence, but it was not granted and should not have been, we are told. The execution was witnessed by 4,000 people but was orderly and well performed. Prewitt ate a hearty dinner half an hour before his death and in answer to an invitation to have a cigar ha said "I haven't got time to smoke now." While dressing himself for the last act he said, "I am one of the beat looking men that ever went to the gallows." The sight of the instrument of death staggered him, however, and he quivered as if an ague affected him. After the rope had been adjusted he made a rambling speech, confessing the deed, exhonorating everybody else, laying his trouble to whisky and exhorting all to shut it and bad company, do right and meet him in heaven. When the black cap was drawn over his face he said, "I hate for you to do this," and as the drop fell, "Lord have mercy on me" was heard to escape his lips. Death resulted from strangulation and after being permitted to hang 17 minutes he was cut down. [14] 


[January 21, 1887] -

WAYNE. -- It is estimated that fully 4,000 people were in Monticello on the day Gran. Prewitt was hung. Just before his execution he weakened and confessed that he committed the crime in all its terrible details. He was taken to the scaffold in the rear of the Court House, and after prayer by a minister present shook hands with every one upon the scaffold. Sheriff Ramsey then adjusted the rope and placed the cap over his face, and he was told to stand on the trap. At one o'clock the trap was sprung, and Prewitt dropped four feet. His neck was not broken by the fall, but death ensued from strangulation. At 1:09 he was pronounced dead, but was allowed to hang until 1:17, when he was cut down and his remains given to his relatives for burial. Thus was one of the most brutal crimes ever committed in the State expiated on the gallows. -- News. [15]


Thank you to Linda R. Ashley for helping track down what happened to Elias, son of Ellen Buck. She was able to figure out that Elias' full name was likely Elias Lowden/Louden Buck, and that he went by his middle name as an adult. Below are some census records and newspaper articles about E. Lowden Buck and his family. 


[June 1, 1900] -

1900 census page for ED 100 Magisterial District 1, South Somerset Precinct Somerset Ward 4-6, Pulaski County, Kentucky, shows:

On Monticello Street in Somerset, in the household/hotel of James Wynn, Hotel Keeper, is a Boarder named Louden Buck, age 23, born January 1877, white male, single, employed as a Railroad Brakeman, able to read and write, born in Kentucky with parents born in Kentucky. [16]


[May 5, 1910] -

1910 census page for ED 52, Civil District No. 10, Morgan County, Tennessee, shows:

By 1910, Louden has been married three years with one child in a house described as not on a farm. The household occupants are:

1. Lowden Buck, Head of Household, age 33, white male, married (first marriage), married for three years, employed as a Conductor with the Steam Railroad, able to read and write, born in Kentucky with both parents born in Kentucky;
2. Bessie Buck, Wife, age 23, white female, married (first marriage), married for three years, mother of one child during her lifetime / one child living, able to read and write, born in Tennessee with father born in Tennessee and mother born in Kentucky; and
3. Audrey Buck, Daughter, age 2, white female, born in Kentucky with father born in Kentucky and mother born in Tennessee. [17]


[September 5, 1911] -

The pictures of Eugene Buck and Audrey Buck, pretty children of Mr. and Mrs. Louden Buck, of this city [Danville], appeared in Saturday's Louisville Times. [18] 


[July 19, 1919] -


Howard Eugene Buck, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lowden Buck on College street, died at 8 o'clock last night with cerebro-spinal meningitis. He was nine years old on the sixth of July.

The funeral will be held this afternoon at four o'clock at the Bellevue cemetery. [19]


[January 7, 1920] -

1920 census page for ED 40, Danville, Boyle County, Kentucky, shows:

At 316 College Street in Danville, the family is living in a home described as owned free of mortgage. The occupants are:

1. Lowden Buck, Head of Household, age 42, white male, married, employed as a Conductor for the Railroad, born in Kentucky with parents born in Kentucky;
2. Bessie Buck, Wife, age 32, white female, married, born in Tennessee with both parents born in Tennessee;
3. Audrey Buck, Daughter, age 12, white female, attended school within the year, born in Kentucky with father born in Kentucky and mother born in Tennessee; and
4. Gertrude Buck, Daughter, age 7, white female, attended school within the year, born in Kentucky with father born in Kentucky and mother born in Tennessee. [20]


[August 30, 1926] -

Mrs. Lowden Buck and daughters, Misses Audrey, Gertrude and Irene, have returned from a pleasant visit with relatives at Harriman, Tenn. [21]


[April 17, 1930] -

1930 census page for ED 16, Danville, Boyle County, Kentucky, shows:

At 306 North 3rd Street in Danville, the family is living in a house valued at $6500, the house is not on a farm, and they do not own a radio set. The occupants are:

1. Louden Buck, Head of Household, age 54, white male, married, was age 30 at time of marriage, able to read and write, employed as Conductor with the Southern Railroad, born in Kentucky with father born in Kentucky and mother born in North Carolina (this matches the 1880 census which states Ellen Buck was born in N.C.);
2. Bessie Buck, Wife, age 42 or 44, white female, married, was age 20 at time of marriage, able to read and write, born in Tennessee with both parents born in Tennessee;
3. Audrey O. Buck, Daughter, age 22, white female, single, able to read and write, employed as a Teacher at City School, born in Kentucky with father born in Kentucky and mother born in Tennessee;
4. Gertrude Buck, Daughter, age 18, white female, single, able to read and write, attended school within the year, born in Kentucky with father born in Kentucky and mother born in Tennessee; and
5. Irene Buck, Daughter, age 6, born in Kentucky with father born in Kentucky and mother born in Tennessee. [22]


[August 17, 1931] -


Miss Audrey Buck and Mr. Robert T. Owens were united in marriage yesterday morning at 8:30 o'clock by Dr. C. C. Warren, pastor of the Lexington Avenue Baptist Church. The wedding took place at the home of the bride on North Third street. The only witnesses to the beautiful and impressive ring ceremony were members of the bride's family. Immediately after the ceremony the happy young couple left for a brief bridal tour after which they will make their home in Perryville.

The bride is the attractive daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lowden Buck, and one of Danville's finest young women. Mr. Owens, better known as "Bob," who graduated at Centre in June, was one of the most popular fellows on the campus and will long be remembered for his splendid work in the old Centre football line.

Both of these young people by their genuine character and happy disposition have won a host of friends who are extending congratulations and wishing for them much of happiness and success. [23]


[August 14, 1936] -


Mrs. Sarah Johnson passed away at her home at 305 Morgan street Sunday morning, August 2, at three o'clock at Harriman, Tenn. She had been in declining health for over a year, but her illness had not been serious until a few days before her death.

Mrs. Johnson was born August 24, 1864 at Monticello, Ky., but had been a resident of this city for over twenty years. She had an unusual zest for life and found much pleasure in the events of each day, even toward the last when poor health rendered her less active than in former years. She possessed a kindly and thoughtful nature, which endeared her to all who knew her.

Mrs. Johnson was a faithful member of the Christian church and took a deep interest in its welfare and was active in its societies.

She is survived by five daughters, Mrs. H. R. Lafon, of this city; Mrs. E. A. Williams, of Huntington, W. Va.; Mrs. Loudon Buck of Danville, Ky.; Mrs. H. R. Clayton, of Versailles, Ky., and Mrs. Hugo Gernt, of Allardt, Tenn.

Funeral services were conducted from the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lafon, on Morgan street, Monday at 2:30 p. m., with the Rev. R. M. Bell pastor of the Christian church, assisted by the Rev. C. G. Johnstone, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating.

Casket bearers were Charles Hill, George Adkisson, Luther Mee, John R. Davis and C. R. Thornton.

Interment in Harriman cemetery. -- The Harriman Record. [24]


[October 24, 1938] -


Death Comes To Retired Railroad Conductor After A Short Illness.

Louden Buck, 63, retired Southern Railroad conductor, died at his home on North Third street at 5:30 a.m. today after an illness of several days.

Born in Monticello, Ky., August 3, 1875, Mr. Buck had served the Southern Railroad Company as a conductor from 1898 until July, 1838. He was a member of the Lexington Avenue Baptist Church.

Survivors are his wife, Mrs. Louden Buck; and three daughters, Mrs. Robert Owens, Forkland; Mrs. Forrest Minor, and Miss Irene Buck, both of Danville.

Funeral services will be conducted by Dr. F. W. Eberhardt at the Lexington Avenue Baptist Church at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon with burial following in Bellevue cemetery.

Pallbearers will be Frank Evans, Hugh Reed, John Wheeldon, Robert Kelly, J. L. Fetterman, and Walter Griffith. [25]


[1941 (+)]

From other articles following this one, it appears that in 1941, Forrest T. Minor, son-in-law of Elias Lowden Buck, ran as candidate in the race for Boyle County Representative to the Kentucky Legislature. He did not win. He was a WWI and WWII veteran, died in 1958, and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

In May 1960, The Advocate Messenger reported that Audrey Buck's daughter, Audrey May Owen, had been named a National Merit Scholar and had won a scholarship to study chemistry at the Carnegie Institute of Technology in Pittsburg, PA. That article indicates that her grandmother, Mrs. Louden Buck, is alive and continuing to live at 306 North 3rd Street, Danville, KY.

In May 1963, The Advocate Messenger society column has an article about a birthday party for Miss Terry and Miss Mary Beth Botkin, daughters of Irene Botkin, granddaughters of Mrs. Bessie Buck. It states Mrs. Buck assisted with the party.

On Sept. 11, 1963, The Advocate Messenger included in a report of recent property transfers: "Bessie Buck to Henry L. Cardwell, house and lot at 306. N. Third street."

Mrs. Bessie Buck died on or about June 21, 1974 in Tampa, Florida. She is buried in Bellevue Cemetery, Danville, KY, the same cemetery as her husband and son Howard. Ms. Buck's obituary was printed on page 5 of the June 24, 1974 issue of The Advocate Messenger. It states that she was born in Robbins, TN and that her three daughters survive her.


[1] "United States Census, 1880," database with images, FamilySearch ( : 24 December 2015), Kentucky > Wayne > Magisterial District 4 > ED 109 > image 26 of 30; citing NARA microfilm publication T9 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).

[2] "Two Horrible Murders." The Courier Journal, Louisville, KY. October 31, 1886. Page 2.

[3] Excerpt from "News of the Week." The Kentucky Advocate, Danville, KY. November 2, 1886. Page 1.

[4] Excerpt from "Notes Of Current Events." Semi-Weekly Interior Journal, Stanford, KY. Page 2. LOC.

[5] "Full Particulars of the Murder of Jarvis Buck and Sister in Wayne." Semi-Weekly Interior Journal  Stanford, KY. November 5, 1886. Page 1. LOC.

[6] Excerpt from "Our Neighbors." The Kentucky Advocate, Danville, KY. November 5, 1886. Page 1.

[7] Excerpt from "Notes of Current Events." Semi-Weekly Interior Journal, Stanford, KY. November 9, 1886. Page 2. LOC.

[8] Excerpt from "A Letter from the Business Manager." Semi-Weekly Interior Journal, Stanford, KY. November 19, 1886. Page 2. LOC.

[9] Excerpt from "Local Matters." Semi-Weekly Interior Journal, Stanford, KY. November 23, 1886. Page 1. LOC.

[10] Excerpt from "Our Neighbors." The Kentucky Advocate, Danville, KY. November 26, 1886. Page 1.

[11] Excerpt from "Danville and Vicinity." The Kentucky Advocate, Danville, KY. November 26, 1886. Page 5.

[12] "Expiated." The Courier Journal, Louisville, KY. January 13, 1887. Page 5.

[13] "A Demon Meets His Dues." Messenger and Examiner, Owensboro, KY. January 13, 1887. Page 1.

[14] Excerpt from "Local Matters." Semi-Weekly Interior Journal, Stanford, KY. January 14, 1887. Page 3. LOC.

[15] Excerpt from "Our Neighbors." The Kentucky Advocate, Danville, KY. January 21, 1887. Page 3.

[16] "United States Census, 1900," database with images, FamilySearch ( : 5 August 2014), Kentucky > Pulaski > ED 100 Magisterial District 1, South Somerset Precinct Somerset city Ward 4-6 > image 3 of 35; citing NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).

[17] "United States Census, 1910," database with images, FamilySearch ( : 24 June 2017), Tennessee > Morgan > Civil District 10 > ED 52 > image 3 of 25; citing NARA microfilm publication T624 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).

[18] Excerpt from "Personal Mention." The Advocate Messenger, Danville, KY. September 5, 1911.

[19] "Buck." The Kentucky Advocate, Danville, KY. July 18, 1919. Page 2. Also reported in: Excerpt from Column 1. The Courier Journal, Louisville, KY. July 19, 1919. Page 8.

[20] "United States Census, 1920," database with images, FamilySearch ( : 14 December 2015), Kentucky > Boyle > Danville > ED 40 > image 12 of 30; citing NARA microfilm publication T625 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).

[21] Excerpt from "Society Notes." The Kentucky Advocate, Danville, KY. August 30, 1926. Page 4.

[22] "United States Census, 1930," database with images, FamilySearch ( : 8 December 2015), Kentucky > Boyle > Danville > ED 16 > image 3 of 21; citing NARA microfilm publication T626 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2002).

[23] "Buck - Owens." The Advocate Messenger, Danville, KY. August 17, 1931. Page 4.

[24] "Mrs. Sarah Johnson Dies At Harriman, Tenn." The Advocate Messenger, Danville, KY. August 14, 1936. Page 2.

[25] "Louden Buck, 63, Died Here Today." The Advocate Messenger, Danville, KY. October 24, 1938. Page 1.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...